Most of the Commands have manuals. These manuals are an interface to the on-line reference manuals
How to use these manuals ?
Command format: man [command name]
Command: man man … It sounds crazyyy….
- How to get escape from manuals ?
Press Small Q to quit manuals.
- Details about manuals:
- Name of Commond
- Exit Status
- See Also
- Some details are optional.
- The Next Command Similar to Man command..Information(Info Command):How to use Info command?
Command: info [command_name]
Command: info ls
- How to get quit from information on terminal?Press ‘q’.
- What more u have in info command:1. Name of command with some meaning of command in short,2. Synopsis,
6. Reporting bugs,
7. Copyright information.
- Double Tab Trick:Use whenever u forget the full command name,or when you want to see the combinations starting from letter or word.Command: blue and press tab twice.
- How to see Previous typed commands:Command: history
Output: all commands which u entered till last command.
Alternative to that,we can also see previous commands:
Don’t enter any command,just press up arrow key to see previous commands.
Useful: when we have big commands and rewriting that whole command again take time and which can decrease typing time.
- How to see menu options using Launcher ?Keep open ur one window and press Alt button.launcher will launch .It will see as..
How to execute command as the superuser ?
Command: sudo [system related command name or to open system related files.]
Sudo command allows a permitted user to execute a command as a superuser or another user,as specified by security policy.The default security policy is sudoers, which is configured via the file /etc/sudoers.
Now we will use sudo command as below with our new command:
- How to shutdown your pc through terminal ?Firstly try only-
Command: shutdown -P 1 “It was awesome experience”
Command: sudo shutdown -P 1 “It was awesome experience”
He will ask root password.. so enter your login password.
- To cancel the process running from terminal can be killed by pressing “Ctrl+c”.
- Now, You are going to learn one of most important move to retrieve results i.e Wildcards:This is one of the crazy part in enjoying the typing and decreasing typing time. *** A wildcard is a character that can be used as a substitute for any of a class of characters in a search, thereby greatly increasing the flexibility and efficiency of searches. ***
Standard wildcards are used by various command-line utilities to work with multiples files.These are useful in many ways for a GNU/Linux Systems and for various other uses. Commands can use wildcards to perform actions on more than one file at a time, or to find part of a phrase in a text file. There are two different major ways that wildcards are used, they are globbing patterns/standard wildcards that are often used by the shell.
To check manual page for wildcards:
command: man 7 glob
With wildcards also read manual page for regular expressions:
command: man 7 regex
Example: I want to go to folder Music using wildcards
Command: cd M*
shrenoid@shrenoid-Inspiron-5520:~$ cd M*
* is a asterik Wild-Card: any combination of character.
M*: word starting with M and having n number of letter in it.
*** Try various combinations to find content.. Best way to keep this in practise is ,Use it daily whenever you go on working on PC. ***